We bring together emerging sci-fi and fantasy writers, helping them work toward publication by improving their literary skills, writing together, and providing honest feedback in a supportive community.
Why did we start SFS Writers Collective?
SFS originally stood for Sci-Fi Shorts and Fantasy Shorts, our two flash fiction publications. However, "The Collective," as we affectionately call it, has grown to include authors, publishers, poets, artists, and writers from several other genres—romantic suspense, horror, magical realism, and even non-fiction. Writers write; they aren't bound by genre, and the Collective is a great place to learn and grow from each other, get practical instruction, and find encouragement along the way.
Stories are the fabric of life. They shape us, reveal who we are, and inspire us. There’s nothing more compelling than a great story. But stories can be challenging to write — especially if you’re just getting started. We created the Collective to empower you as you craft your best story and work toward publication. How? Through a dedicated, community-driven environment.
What do I get with the Collective?
- Meet and strike up conversations with skilled writers, experts, and published authors.
- Weekly group writing sprints to keep you motivated as you write.
- Connect with like-minded writers and find beta readers for your stories.
- Get practical help with crafting dialogue, writing fight scenes, improving prose, world-building, grammar, character development, editing, and more!
- Weekly member spotlights where you can get to know other Collective members on a deep level, and they can get to know you.
- Unique events where you can watch other writers craft stories in real-time.
- Groups where you can chat with others who share your interests.
- Groups where you can read your work and receive encouraging and critical feedback.
- Direct feedback on your stories from the editors of Sci-Fi Shorts and Fantasy Shorts, who will help you work toward publication.
- Share your speciality and discover other writers by their specialties. Form connections in niche areas to learn from them and strengthen your weaknesses.
- Glean resources and tips from those who share your passions or writing genres.
- Helpful writing resources ranging from 10-minute skill sessions to several day courses with practical training exercises to hone your skills on topics like writing dialogue, adding depth to your writing, developing a story, and more!
- A 20% discount on ProWritingAid.
- Access to the Story Hatch Method that will not only get you started writing a story, but help you methodically craft each aspect of your story (character, setting, theme, plot, and conflict) until your story emerges from the nebula!
- Secure groups where you can offer your services or find the services you need from other trusted experts.
- Post questions, polls, and send private messages, join groups, follow topics, and improve your writing — all while interacting with a dedicated and empowered writing community.
- Access to SFS Writers Collective also includes a full-featured mobile app so you can always connect, join conversations, and attend events, wherever you go.
Access to all this and more when you join SFS Writers Collective! So what are you waiting for? Welcome to your new writing home.